lw789

on some old-fashioned word of m

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 am

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- Facing an opponent he had never seen play, Novak Djokovic relied on some old-fashioned word of mouth. Asking around the locker room and getting some intel from his coach, Djokovic went out and beat Alejandro Gonzalez 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 on Tuesday, ending the Colombians surprising run to the third round at the BNP Paribas Open. "It took me a little bit to get used to it," Djokovic said. "Youve got new faces and new players who are able to challenge the top guys, and this is good for the sport. It also makes us work harder and improve trying to get our game to a high level because the guys are coming up." Djokovic, a two-time champion at Indian Wells, earned the only two breaks of the third set, including a seven-deuce game that he closed out with a clever backhand drop volley. John Isner, the lone American remaining in the mens draw, defeated Lu Yen-hsun of Taiwan 6-4, 6-3 to reach the fourth round. Isner fired 13 aces, hit 32 winners and gained the only two breaks of the match. Lu managed just nine winners and never had a break point against Isner. Top-seeded Li Na played Aleksandra Wozniak of Canada in a late match. Gonzalez had never won an ATP Tour match in six tries before Indian Wells. He won third-set tiebreakers in his first two matches here before keeping the worlds second-ranked man on the court for just over 1 1/2 hours. "I just had a big loss of concentration and allowed him to win the second set for no reason," Djokovic said. "Bounced back better in the third, but I obviously cannot allow myself to have these particular concentration lapses in the match at this level." Djokovic had 28 winners to 11 for Gonzalez, who also had 23 unforced errors in his first Masters 1000 event. Djokovic next plays 24th-seeded Marin Cilic of Croatia, who beat 16th-seeded Tommy Robredo 6-4, 6-3. The Serb is the highest remaining seed left after top-seeded Rafael Nadal was upset by Alexandr Dolgopolov a day earlier. Jelena Jankovic routed Caroline Wozniacki 6-3, 6-1 to reach the quarterfinals in a matchup of former tournament champions and No. 1-ranked players. Jankovic next plays second-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska, who beat 22nd-seeded Alize Cornet 7-5, 6-3. Jankovic made the quarterfinals for the first time since winning the Indian Wells title in 2010, when she beat Wozniacki. The Dane won the title in 2011 and lost to Maria Sharapova in last years final. But she offered little resistance against Jankovic, who raced to a 5-0 lead in the second set before Wozniacki held at 40-love to avoid getting shut out in front of her fiance, golfer Rory McIlroy. "I kind of found my way, found my rhythm, and I was striking the ball very well out there and took control of the points," Jankovic said. "I just did not let her play what she plays. That was very important." Jankovic was the worlds top-ranked player in 2008. Wozniacki reached the top spot in 2010; shes now No. 12. Jankovic, who is ranked eighth, was the first top-10 player Wozniacki has faced so far this year. Jankovic ended a five-match skid against Wozniacki, with the Serb having recovered from a back problem that occurred in her match two nights earlier. Jankovic didnt hit on Monday and felt too stiff to put her shoes on. "I went on court today not knowing how I was going to feel, if I was going to be limited with my movement or if I was going to play my game," she said. "But I did and I was surprised." Italian qualifier Camila Giorgi failed to build on her upset of defending champion Maria Sharapova, losing to countrywoman Flavia Pennetta 6-2, 6-1. American Lauren Davis withdrew from her match against qualifier Casey Dellacqua of Australia because of a gastrointestinal illness. Dellacqua advanced to the quarters against No. 6 seed Simona Halep of Romania, who beat Eugenie Bouchard of Canada, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4. In other mens matches, 30th-seeded Fernando Verdasco beat No. 8 seed Richard Gasquet, 7-6 (5), 6-1; and Roberto Bautista Agut beat Jarkko Nieminen, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (6). Authentic Jerseys Wholesale .One day after winning her record 63rd World Cup race, Vonn posted to her Facebook account Tuesday that she was happy Woods surprised her by coming to the race, and that she felt terrible that his tooth got knocked out. Discount Authentic Nike NFL Jerseys . Head of clinic Josef Obrist tells the Austria Press Agency on Thursday that Morgenstern "is doing surprisingly well. ... He still has a memory gap but thats nothing unusual." Morgenstern has moved to a rehabilitation clinic in Klagenfurt for further recovery. http://www.authenticcheapjerseys.us/. Vargas (8-3) allowed four singles and two walks while striking out five, allowing only two runners from a diluted Twins lineup to reach second base. Mike Moustakas and Jarrod Dyson hit RBI singles in the second inning against Kevin Correia (4-10), and that was all Vargas needed. Cheap Jerseys From China . Patton told The Baltimore Sun that he took an Adderall pill four days before the season finished, trying to improve his short-term focus. "I took one because I was stupid," Patton told The Sun. Cheap NFL Jerseys China . Wrights first stint with Milwaukee was on a 10-day contract from March 14-23. He played in two games, averaging six points and two rebounds in 16.TORONTO -- Toronto FC used to be known for its heartbreaking tendency to give up goals in the dying seconds. Doneil Henry, the man who scored Toronto FCs last-gasp game winner Saturday, knows that probably better than anyone. Jermain Defoe scored twice and Henry, who has seen plenty of heartbreak in his more than four seasons with TFC, headed in the third in injury time to lift Toronto to a 3-2 Major League Soccer victory over the Columbus Crew. The difference this season? "Its the guys that we have in this locker-room, we have some really bold characters, some guys that really will die for the game," Henry said. "Thats been the difference-maker. And we all believe in our coach, we all will stick up and die for this coach, for Ryan Nelsen. "So when you think of opportunities of winning games, and trying to finally bring the playoffs to Toronto, you think of the guys in this changing room." Defoe, the former Tottenham Hotspur star and biggest name in Torontos much-celebrated off-season signing spree, scored on a penalty shot. He then added a second when Brazilian striker Gilberto headed the ball onto the Englishman, and he one-timed a beautiful strike past Crew keeper Steve Clark. The 21-year-old Henry, however, was the star of the afternoon. The six-foot-two defender from Brampton, Ont., muscled his way in on a free kick from Daniel Lovitz with about a minute left to play to score with a glancing header. It was his second goal in as many games -- Henry scored in Wednesdays 1-1 draw with Montreal -- and another plus for the player whos rebounded from a couple of minuses. "In your career when you have your negative days, you can either let it eat you and be a timid person or you can stand up like a man, and just embrace it and just try to better yourself and understand the game better," said Henry, who ripped off his shirt while his teammates mobbed him. Henry had been making news more for the goals that cost his team -- most recently in Torontos 2-2 draw at Sporting Kansas City a week earlier, Henrys foul inside the box cost the team a Kansas City penalty shot. Nelsen is proud of how Henry has played this week. "Hes got amazing athleticism, hes got lovely spring, hes a good timer of hitting the ball," Nelsen said. "Its just reward for being brave, and trying to make an impact in the game and not letting the game go by, and then look in the mirror at night and think God, I wish Id made that run. As weve all done. "Youve got to be brave, youve got to put yourself in the arena and he did, he went for it, and he got his reward by helping us win this game." The goal boosted Torontos record to 5-4-1 and sent the 22,591 fans at a sun-drenched BMO Field home happy. Justin Meram and Augustin Viana scored for Columbus (4-5-4). Meram put Columbus on the scoreboard in the 18th minute -- several nice passes by the Crew found Meram alone just outside the top of the 18-yard-box, and he fired a shot past Toronto goalkeeper Joe Bendik.dddddddddddd Defoe, who said he felt fresh from sitting out Wednesdays game against Montreal, converted a penalty three minutes later to tie the game after he was pulled down in the box by Tyson Wahl. "The last two games, we havent been at our best, but weve gotten results," Defoe said. "Great character to come back and win the game. Its not an easy thing to do. It was all about character again." Viana put the Crew ahead 2-1 in the 65th minute when he headed in a corner kick from the top of the six-yard-box, sneaking the ball just inside the right post. The goals were the only decent shots on target all afternoon. The Crew were more accurate with their passing and held a slight edge in possession. "Even though we didnt play that well, we stayed in the game, we kept trying. . . sometimes it was painful to watch," Nelsen said. "The boys kept going, they never backed out. Even the best teams in the world have really bad days in the office, but if youre still trying to do the good things. . . a lot of the times you get rewarded." Gilberto, the Brazilian striker and Designated Player that was also part of Torontos off-season rebuild, started on the bench for the first time with the team. Nelsen said Gilberto wasnt feeling well on Thursday and Friday, and gave Luke Moore the start in his place. Gilberto replaced Jackson in the 65th minute, and had a shot on his first touch, but launched it well over the Columbus net. He would have fans cheering, though, with his ball to Defoe on the second goal. "As soon as it came to (Gilberto) I knew he was going to head it on so I could just turn," Defoe said of the goal. "As soon as I turned I thought, this is the chance, youve got to just hit it as quick as you can. It was one of them goals when as soon as I made contact I knew it was going in." Toronto was awarded the Trillium Cup -- the cup competition between these two teams -- afterward. TFC had won the first game of the matchup 2-0 in April in Columbus. Both teams were playing without their captains -- Torontos centre back Steven Caldwell was serving a suspension for his red card in TFCs 2-2 draw at Kansas City a week earlier, while Columbus was missing forward Frederico Higuain to a suspension. Toronto has only beaten Columbus four times in the 21 meetings between the two teams. Seven of the games have resulted in ties. Toronto has only beaten the Crew twice at BMO Field in 10 matchups. TFC travels to Montreal on Wednesday for the second leg of the Amway Canadian Championship, which doesnt count toward MLS standings. Theyre back in Toronto next Saturday against the San Jose Earthquakes. Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys Cheap Adidas Hockey Jerseys Wholesale Nike Baseball Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys From China Wholesale Jerseys China Wholesale NFL Jerseys China Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Nike NBA Jerseys Authentic Cheap NHL Jerseys Canada Cheap Nike MLB Jerseys Cheap Soccer Jerseys China NCAA Jerseys Cheap Nike NHL Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys Store Cheap Football Jerseys Store Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Jerseys NCAA China Jerseys NFL Cheap Cheap Nike NBA Jerseys ' ' '

Return to “Introduction”